Recipe by bluemoon downunder
In pita bread, a great lunch or supper snack, or serve these meatballs with a Mexican vegetarian side-dish such as Mexican Potato Crisps With Lime Salsa or Fried Mexican Capsicum & Potatoes I have posted this recipe, adapted from an International Masters '1001 Recipes for Pan or Wok' recipe card, for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. 200g = 7oz; 500g = 1lb 2oz; 100g = 4oz and 150ml = 5 fl oz. Ideally, the meatballs need to be chilled for about 30 minutes. The chilling time has not been included in the preparation and cooking times below.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders. After reading the other review that was given for this recipe, I decided to spice things up a little bit (I used taco seasoning) and they still weren't that spicy. But, this was a great meal. Different than anything we've ever had. The avocado sauce was good as well. Thanks for posting this bluemoon!
- 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 red capsicum
- 1 (200 g) can kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon chile, minced
- 500 g ground beef
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 avocados
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 pita breads
- 100 g mixed salad greens
- 150 ml sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and grate the onion, peel and crush the garlic, deseed and chop the red capsicum, drain and chop the beans; in a bowl, mix together the beans, onion, garlic, red capsicum, chillies, beef, seasoning and half the coriander, until they are well-combined.
- Divide the beef mixture into 32 pieces, then roll them into balls; place the balls on a baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, halve the avocados and remove the stones, peel and chop the flesh and put in a bowl; stir in the chilli sauce, lemon juice and the remaining coriander.
- Heat the oil in a pan, fry the meatballs in batches for 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked and tender.
- Lightly toast the pita breads and split open, fill with mixed salad leaves and meatballs, spoon over the avocado mixture and sour cream and serve immediately.
- Chef's Tip: These meatballs can be placed uncooked between layers of greaseproof paper and frozen for up to a month. Thaw at room temperature before frying.