Recipe by cloeabear
I came up with this gem trying to think of an alternative to boring tomato soup. Not only is this soup simple, cheap and hearty, it super low calorie and can be made in as little as 30 minutes! Add some shrimp or quesadillas for a complete meal.
- 28 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes, canned
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes, canned
- 1⁄4 cup tequila
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chunked
- 1 large onion, chunked
- 4 celery ribs, chunked
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, saute garlic, onion and celery in olive oil until softened. Add green pepper and jalapeno and soften slightly.
- Add tequila and reduce slightly - about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock and juice from lime. Bring to a boil and simmer for at least 20 mins (up to 1.5 hours).
- Add cilantro just before serving.