Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This chicken has a traditional East Indian tandoori flavor, and is marinated in a buttermilk/kosher salt curry brine for 3-4 hours before grilling, which produces the most moist and delicious chicken. This chicken had lots of flavors, and is wonderful grilled! Prep time includes marinating time. Make certain to use only coarse kosher salt. Serve with the curry-cucumber sauce on the side to "cool the heat"
Top Review by Paris D
This was really good. We used neufchatel in place of mayonnaise in the sauce because we don't like mayo, so we didn't have any in the house. It was really good! I think mayo would have been too salty.
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 -5 fresh finely minced garlic cloves
- 3 -4 lbs chicken pieces (skin on or off)
CURRY CUCUMBER SAUCE
- 1 cup cucumber, very finely chopped and seeded
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the ginger powder, curry powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper; set aside 2 teaspoons of the mixture.
- To make the brine: In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, salt, sugar and minced garlic; mix to combine until the sugar and salt are dissolved completely.
- Stir in the remaining ginger mixture into buttermilk mixture (keep about 2 teaspoons to flavor the chicken pieces before grilling).
- Place the chicken pieces in a large heavy-duty ziploc freezer bag, and then place in a shallow dish to catch any small leaks.
- Pour the buttermilk brine/ginger mixture mixture over the chicken pieces in the bag.
- Coat the pieces well with the brine.
- Place in refrigerator for 3-4 hours, turning the bag occasionally to distribute the marinade over the chicken.
- When ready to grill, remove the chicken from the bag and discard marinade/brine.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the reserved 2-3 teaspoons of the ginger spice.
- Set grill to medium temperature.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cover with grill lid.
- Cook chicken for about 50-60 minutes.
- To make the curry-cucumber sauce: In a bowl combine all the ingredients; mix well to combine.
- Cover and chill until serving.