Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my tried and true for either soft or hard shell taco filling. It's nice and spicy, tangy with a fair amount of tomato flavor. Tweaked from Cook's Illustrated.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (Penzey's medium hot)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup canned chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- black pepper
- Heat oil over med. heat for 2 minute
- Add onion and cook until softened - approx 4 minute
- Add garlic and spices.
- Cook until fragrant approximately 1 minute.
- Add beef & cook 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, chicken broth, brown sugar & vinegar.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered approx 20 min and stir until no more chunks remain and until it is the "wet" consistency you want.
- Season with pepper and salt if needed.
Not my favorite.
I remember this from Fine Cooking. It's delicious. And not too many calories in each taco.
This is our favorite taco meat recipe, nothing else compares! We've been using it for a year now and love it!