Prep 5 mins
Cook 14 mins
A bowl of these spicy-peanutty noodles is so good. Asian-style comfort food. Serve hot in winter. Cool down and pair with veggies to make a fabulous salad in the summer.
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated gingerroot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Asian chili sauce or 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (lemon at a pinch – use a little less)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb noodles, of your choice
- finely chopped scallion
- chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Transfer to a jar with a tight-fitting lid (keeps 1 week, chilled; or distribute among 3 small containers and freeze what you dont want to use within a week).
- To use: Boil 1 lb Asian noodles or spaghetti until al dente.
- Toss with ¾ cup of sauce (or more to taste), finely chopped scallions and chopped peanuts.
- Note: In the winter, I eat these noodles hot.
- In summer I rinse under cold water, cool and drain and serve them as a spicy noodle salad, often adding shredded bok choy, carrots, snowpeas, lots more of the peanut sauce, etc.
This is a highly flavored sauce and not for the timid. We loved it! I used it on a salad of grated carrots, bean sprouts, shredded Chinese cabbage, and soba. Very, very delicious and there is some leftover sauce for another meal in the next few days. We enjoyed your recipe Evelyn!
I've attempted a lot of peanut sauces at home, and out of them all this worked out the best for consistancy and taste. I used the red pepper flakes this time, next time I think I will use the chili sauce instead as I like peanut sauce to have a lot of heat. I will definitely be keeping this recipe in front of me Evelyn, I usually spend about $5 a bottle to make peanut chicken wings - I'll be using this recipe for them next time.
this was just right! and on the same caliber as my favorite resteraunt!! i used sambal olek, and followed the recipe .i garnished with scallions, a handful of julienned snow peas, some peanuts and some sesame seeds this is a keeper!