Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This has been a favorite for years. Did not include marinating time in prep time. If you do not like too much spice, cut back on the cayenne pepper.
- 1⁄2 lb round steak, cut into thin slivers
- 7 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- 2 cups celery, julienned
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 2 green onions, julienned
- steamed white rice
- Combine 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons oil, white pepper, and cornstarch to form marinade. Add beef and let stand 30 minutes, or longer.
- Combine 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sugar, hoisin sauce, and cayenne. Reserve.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet over high heat. Add beef and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile add vegetables to meat. Stir fry until just done, crisp tender.
- Add prepared sauce. Cook until heated through, about 30 seconds.
This was an absolutely awesome recipe!! I made it for company and everyone just raved. I used 2 heaping tsps. of cayenne. That makes it pleasantly hot but we like hot and spicy food so we loved it. In addition, I used flank steak,and left it in the marinade for 4 hours.It was as tender as it can be. I also added some snow peas and some julienned yellow pepper. I will be making this over and over again. Thank you so much for posting it.
This was excellent. My husband I both thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely make this again!
I haven't tried the recipe yet, I'm a little confused of what soy sauce to use light or dark.what oil to use. Green onions? Cups of celery and carrots, I know it's a measure, first time I've used cups to measure veg.