Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the *Best Ever Chicken* Cookbook edited by Linda Fraser -- Per the intro, "This is a very quick & easy soup, made in minutes. If you use frozen shrimp, defrost them b4 adding to the soup." *Enjoy* !
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil or 1⁄2 teaspoon sunflower oil
- 2 spring onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) cansweet cream-style corn
- 1 1⁄4 cups baby shrimp (cooked & see note below pls)
- 1 teaspoon green chili paste (optional) or 1 teaspoon chili sauce (optional)
- salt and black pepper (to taste pref)
- fresh coriander leaves (garnish) (optional)
- Heat oil in a lrg saucepan & saute spring onions & garlic over med-heat for 1 min, till softened but not caramelized.
- Stir in chicken stock, cream-style sweetcorn, shrimp & chili paste (or sauce, if using).
- Bring soup to a gentle boil, stirring occ. Season to taste pref & serve immediately sprinkled w/fresh coriander leaves.
- NOTE RE SHRIMP: If using larger prawns, chop in pieces roughly = in size to baby shrimp.
- COOKS TIP PER RECIPE: If cream-style sweetcorn is not available, use ordinary canned sweetcorn & pulse in a food proc till creamy, but w/some texture left.
What a great recipe! I needed a quick and satisfying meal after a day of holiday shopping and this soup was stove-to-table in 15 minutes! I used Thai garlic chili paste and the spiciness was great with the sweet corn and shrimp. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This soup fit the bill tonight! Had to work till almost 10 pm, and had to have something quick to throw together for dinner.....this worked wonderfully. I didn't have green chili paste, so I used some green chili sauce...."Hot and Horny Green Jalapeno Sauce"! The sweetness of the corn contrasted nicely with the heat from the chili sauce. I'm a fire-eater, so next time I'll add more chili sauce. I think this would make 4 nice appetizer servings, but don't think it would make 4 full course servings. I got 2 1/2 to 3 servings out of this recipe. Made for Football Tag week 9, 2010.
What a quick and yummy soup! I made this for lunch today, and we got 3 nice sized portions. It took no time to throw together, and it still had plenty of flavour. I didn't have any green chili paste, so I used 3 teaspoons of chili sauce and some freshly chopped red chilies. This is a definite keeper for us. Thanks Twissis!