Recipe by MarielC
I developed this recipe myself. It's a quirky one! There are a lot of contrasting textures and flavors, but if you like savory things you will like these.
- 1 (8 ounce) can Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls
- 16 large dates, pitted (preferably Medjoul variety)
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce or 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 32 -48 roasted salted almonds
- 3 ounces goat cheese (or neufchatel cheese AKA light cream cheese)
- 1 beaten egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Open dates so they split down the middle the long way but not cut all the way in half. Take one date and place four drops of Tabasco sauce (about 1/8 tsp) on the inside from end to end. Place two to three almonds (depending on the size) in the dates. The almonds should fit snugly inside the dates. Top with 1 heaping teaspoon of goat cheese. Stuff the rest of the dates the same way with hot sauce, almonds and cheese. Set aside.
- Open can of crescent roll and unroll the dough. Cut each triangle in half so there are a total of 16 triangles. Place one stuffed date in the center of each triangle. Fold the short end of the triangle over the date. Fold the longer ends over all. Pinch to seal. Place on large ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining dates. Brush all bundles with a small amount of beaten egg.
- Bake the wrapped stuffed dates for 11 to 14 minutes until golden brown. Let cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- This can be done with 32 smaller dates, the kind that are often found in the supermarket in boxes. Stuff as above, using about 1/2 tsp of cheese in each date, and wrap two stuffed dates in each crescent triangle.