Recipe by Boo L
A sweet potato and carrot mix with feta cheese, wrapped in shortcrust pastry. This is one of my first real forays into a recipe made up on the spot with what you have in the cupboard, so I'm quite proud! This also keeps well wrapped in foil in the fridge, for a lighter meal with a salad. I've also tried this with just sweet potatoes (although the carrot enhances the flavour) and with spinach (about 125g) instead of broccoli.
Top Review by I'mPat
I scaled this back to make 2 individual pasties for the DM - one for tonight and one to freeze and rehat later and I still had mix left over. The DM realy enjoyed her b=vegetarian pastie though for her I omitted the chilli and broccoli otherwiseit would have been a battle to get her to eat. Thank you Boo L and to Karen Elizabeth for her recommendation - recommended in IRecoomend Tag game.
- 500 g shortcrust pastry
- 150 g feta cheese
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to GM6 (200C / 400F).
- Chop the sweet potato and carrot into small chunks, about 1cm-1.5cm across.
- Crush the garlic onto a layer of foil, and sprinkle over the cumin and chilli powder.
- Put the sweet potato and carrot onto the foil, and roil them in the spices.
- Wrap the veg up completely, so that they bake rather than roast, and put them in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile roll out your shortcrust pastry to make a rectangle about 12" by 9".
- Break up 100g of feta cheese and crumble it across half of the pastry (leaving a gap of about half an inch around the outside of the filling).
- Cut the broccoli into very small pieces and dot in between and over the feta.
- When the baking veg comes out of the oven mash it well. If it won't mash, put it back into the oven until it's soft enough to do so.
- Spread the mash over the broccoli and feta and then top with the remaining feta.
- Fold the other half of the pastry over the filling, and push it down well to seal the pasty.
- Wash with egg or milk and bake at GM 7 (425 F / 220C).