Recipe by Annacia
Why not try this different and delicious way of making potato pancakes. Baking the potatoes and chill time not included. *EDIT, After the first 2 reviews I have increased the flour amount. If the mixture is still too wet you may add more in small amounts until you feel that it's going to hold together.
Top Review by Queen Roachie
Yum! I am not fond of overly sweetened, dessert-ish sweet potato dishes. I was unsure about the curry, but glad I made this. I did leave out the cayenne to try to get my kids to try it. I added guar gum to this to help it thicken and didn't have problems with it falling apart one me while cooking. That being said, these are really soft... they come out like pillows. I microwaved my sweet potatoes, and since I impulsively made this for dinner, I skipped the one hour chill time. Will make this again.
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (baked and mashed)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup onion, coarsely grated
- 4 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- chunky applesauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the potatoes and eggs in a med size mixing bowl.
- Put the grated onion into a clean kitchen towel and wring the liquid out of it and add it to the potatoes.
- Add the flour, nutmeg, curry powder,black pepper, salt and cayenne; stir well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for one hour.
- Heat 2 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp shortening in medium sized skillet on medium heat.
- Form the potato mix into patties and add them to the hot skillet three at a time.
- Spread them out to form pancakes 1/4 inch thick and 3 inches in diameter.
- Brown on one side, turn and cook till golden.
- Place cooked pancakes on a paper lined baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- Repeat till till all potato mixture is used adding more butter and shortening to pan as needed.
- Serve with chilled applesauce if using.