Recipe by Muffin Goddess
I was looking for something different to serve with cheeseburgers one night, and this is what I found (it's a Tanya Holland recipe from foodtv.com). The spice blend counters the sweetness of the fries rather nicely, I think. Prep time is primarily time needed to heat the oil sufficiently.
Top Review by Slatts
We made both fries and chips with this recipe. Both were great. The spice mix contrasts really nicely with the sweetness of the potatoes. I am going to experiment with some other root vegetables now. Thanks! Made for Spring PAC '09
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (4 medium)
- 2 quarts vegetable oil or 2 quarts peanut oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (I recommend Chipotle chili powder)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4 inch matchsticks.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the spice blend and set aside.
- Heat oil to 300 degrees F.
- "Blanch"fries for 2 minutes and let cool.
- Bring oil up to 350 degrees F.
- Fry for 3 minutes, or until fries are brown and rise to the top.
- Sprinkle spice blend over hot fries and serve immediately.