Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Several different spice combinations make these fries versatile. Try also with regular potatoes. Delicious!! from local newspaper.
- 4 sweet potatoes, about 2 lbs
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Alternate spices Tangy thyme citrus
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon orange rind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoned pepper
Alternate spices Spicy pepper cumin
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped red pepper
- 1⁄4 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 500f degrees.
- Cut potatoes into wedges.
- Place wedges in a bowl with remaining ingredients, toss potatoes until evenly coated.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Arrange seasoned potato wedges in a single layer on greased baking sheet for quicker baking.
- For crisper fries, place potatoes at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake on middle oven rack for approximately 20 minutes or until crisp on the outside and soft inside when pricked with a toothpick or fork.
- Turn once about half way through baking.
Delicious! I stuck with the basic recipe except that instead of rosemary (not my favorite herb), I used garlic powder, cayenne and sugar (actually xylitol) to give it a spicy-sweet flavor. I broiled it for the last few minutes to help crisp the edges. The thinnest wedges turned out the most crispy (I recommend 1/2"). Next time I'm only to use regular salt instead of coarse because it's not as strong. The basic recipe (olive oil, heat, timing, etc.) was just perfect! The flavor and texture of these fries was delectable. I plan to experiment with more seasoning combinations, such as fresh garlic and parsley.
I used the spicy pepper cumin recipe and I'll use it again. I did add some garlic powder. It was wonderful!!
Made version #1, but with Greek Seasoning instead of rosemary. Tasty, but did not get as crisp as I thought. Overall flavor and cook time is right on.