Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Faking Indian food.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil, rinsed
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 large celery, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen spinach, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- 1 diced jalapeno (or some other hot pepper)
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- Sauté the onion, garlic, and peppers over medium high heat until the onion is golden.
- Add the carrots, celery, sweet potato, and spices. Cook until the potato is tender.
- Turn down the heat, add the lentils and 2 cups water.
- Once the lentils are soft, add the diced tomatoes. Cover and simmer over medium low heat until the lentils are mostly broken down. It might be necessary to add more water if it looks dry.
- Add the spinach and peas, cook until hot.
- Serve with warm bread.
Much as I really looked forward to making this and wanted to like it, I can't even convince myself that it was kind-of good. I think the problem is, with so many different spices (and so much), in the end its overriding flavor was just "spice." I really like the idea of sweet potato curry, but this combination/amount of spices is just not quite right. Thanks anyway, though. It was fun to make. :)
I really liked this recipe. I quartered it. I subbed ground mustard for turmeric and fresh spinach for the frozen. Very flavorful, filling and healthy. Thank you!