Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of my favorite soups. It is from Real Simple magazine
Make and share this Spicy Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, rinsed (about 3 large potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste (found in the international section of markets)
- 1 (15 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro stem
- Preheat oven to 400°F Put the sweet potatoes on an oven rack and bake for 50 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool. Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and ginger until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir in the curry paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and broth and gently bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Skin the potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks. Add the potatoes to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and salt. Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Drizzle the sesame oil evenly over the servings. Garnish with the cilantro.