Recipe by JanetB-KY
This is an awesome sweet hot salsa. It's a canning recipe not a fresh mix so with this one, you can have Peach salsa all year round :-) I've changed the recipe some deleting the celery as I don't like it (but to keep the necessary proportions of acids the same for safe canning, I subbed 1 3/4 extra cups green pepper and a 1/4 cup hot pepper. I used jalapeno but you could use your favorite) & adding two extra peaches; This salsa is wonderful w/ grilled chicken or fish or just as a go along to chips.Be prepared;with the jalapenos it DOES have a bite.
- 3 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled then chopped (about 7 medium)
- 2 cups celery, sliced (again I delete that & sub extra green peppers & hot peppers)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, seeded and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 5 fresh peaches, peeled then chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pickling spices, in cheesecloth
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour boiling water over tomatoes; leave for one minute.
- Drain and cover with cold water.
- Peel, chop and measure to get 1 1/2 quarts (6 cups) Pour boiling water over peaches and let sit for two minutes.
- Drain water and immediately cover with cold water.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes then peel; the water baths should make the peels come off fairly easily.
- Put tomatoes and peaches into large heavy bottomed saucepan with all other ingredients.
- Boil slowly, stirring often, until thickened, about two hours.
- Remove spice bag and discard.
- Pour into sterilized pint or half pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Process in boiling water bath for ten minutes; cool and store.