Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are truly something different...an onion ring recipe calling for condensed milk & chipotle peppers! The original version in Southern Living magazine used 1/4 cup of jalapeños, but I like the slightly smoky flavor the chipotles add. Our family likes these served with ranch dressing.
- Peel the onion& slice into 1/4 inch slices: Separate into rings.
- Combine flour& cornmeal, mix well.
- Combine beaten egg, sweetened condensed milk,& club soda: stir into flour/cornmeal mixture.
- Finely mince 1 or 2 chipotle peppers (depending on size& desired heat level) and stir into batter mixture.
- Dip onion rings into batter coating well, shake lightly, and fry in deep hot oil (350-375°F): avoid overcrowding.
- Fry until golden brown& drain the rings on paper towels.
I made a mistake here; I got corn muffin mix (which I JUST figured out) instead of cornbread mix. I know that made a difference. I think I sliced my onions too thinly, and the oil was too hot to start. :-( Just a comedy of errors for these poor onion rings. As mentioned by another reviewer, the batter was a tad too thick for me; I added some extra club soda, and that solved the problem. I finally got the temperature right, and was rewarded with some sweet/spicy onion rings. I had never used chipotles before; they have an interesting flavor, and I'm looking forward to using them again. Thanks for sharing these, Susie D!
I doubled the peppers and added a few spoonfuls of the adobo sauce LOL I used two other recipes to get the self rising flour and cornbread mix. I did find the batter very thick and tried one ring then added more liquid until it was just right for us LOL We found this tasted just like a corn dog batter LOL It was a little sweet. The whole time I could not think if I like these or not but since I kept eating them I must of ;) DH really enjoyed them Made for PAC Fall 2009
When it comes to chiles, I'm on the conservative side, so cut back on the amount of that ingredient, but other than that, I followed the recipe right on down & had A WONDERFUL TASTE TREAT with these onion rings! VERY NICE RECIPE, & one worth keeping around! [Tagged, made & reviewed while touring Texas during the ZWT5]