Recipe by startnover
I use this as a base for everything: pizza, stuffed shells, Parmesan chicken, you name it. I've used so many combinations over the years. The two key ingredients to me are hot red pepper flakes and sugar. Hope it works for you. If you have fresh herbs by all means use them, just remember you'll need more than amounts listed for dried.
Top Review by andponytails
This has become my go-to base for everything red spaghetti sauce-related. I add red wine to taste and cook down. My friends all love it--makes me look like I actually know what I'm doing. Thank you!
- 1 quart whole tomato, undrained
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian spices
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil till soft.
- Add whole tomatoes, breaking them up with spoon into smaller chunks.
- Let tomato liquid simmer down for about 15 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Can be doubled and frozen for later use.
- Servings is a guess.