Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I use this as a base for everything: pizza, stuffed shells, Parmesan chicken, you name it. I've used so many combinations over the years. The two key ingredients to me are hot red pepper flakes and sugar. Hope it works for you. If you have fresh herbs by all means use them, just remember you'll need more than amounts listed for dried.
- 1 quart whole tomato, undrained
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian spices
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil till soft.
- Add whole tomatoes, breaking them up with spoon into smaller chunks.
- Let tomato liquid simmer down for about 15 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Can be doubled and frozen for later use.
- Servings is a guess.
This has become my go-to base for everything red spaghetti sauce-related. I add red wine to taste and cook down. My friends all love it--makes me look like I actually know what I'm doing. Thank you!
Oh my God. I have never had marinara sauce like this before! I don't think I can ever go back to normal jar sauce again. This is too amazing!! I was pretty much eating it like it was soup after it was done. Delicious!!
Excellant Marinara Sauce homegirl. We enjoyed it very much. I used it to sauce cheese canneloni. It worked beautifully and tasted absolutely wonderful. The sauce was quick and very easy to make and tasted great. I used a hot and spicy tomato sauce for a little added heat. Thanks so much for sharing.