Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
You won't believe this is made with ground beef! Great to have on hand or to give as gifts.
Make and share this Spicy Summer Sausage recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick salt
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon garlic juice
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cajun-louisiana seasoning blend (your favorite)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients& mix well.
- Roll into four rolls of equal size.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap& refrigerate 24 hours.
- Unwrap rolls, place on baking rack and bake at 300 degrees for 1-1/2 hours.
- Cool& wrap in tin foil- refrigerate or freeze.
This is a great recipe. I used whole pepper corns and added fresh garlic. Froze two of them for later.
tastes like REAL summer sausage. Very Good!
I made this exactly as written. I can see many modification possibilities for future batches although this is great as it is. I am curious about how long it will keep in the refrigerator. I served it with crackers and my "bar cheese" (recipe available here on Zaar). Friends were very enthused about both. Just add crackers and you have an instant party. It is so nice to know exactly what is in the summer sausage and cheese that I serve my guests. It is also rewarding to know I made it myself. Who would have thought it could be so easy to make an excellent summer sausage. I quit buying it in the store because you just never knew what it would taste like. Often is was just way too greasy or salty and got thrown out. This is so much better in taste, price and quality. Thank you for posting this versatile recipe.