Recipe by Marsha D.
I was wanting something different than normal stuffed cabbage rolls with tomato sauce so I came up with my own idea. My husband and I really enjoyed this and I was very satisfied. I wanted to share my idea with you and I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1⁄3 cup water
Cabbage Roll Stuffing
- 8 ounces dirty rice mix (Zatarain's New Orleans Style Dirty Rice Mix)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage
Mushroom Gravy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 12 ounces chicken broth (or 2 chicken bouillon cubes, in 12 oz. water)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cabbage head in half.
- In a glass bowl add 1/3c water and cabbage halfs.
- Cover with paper towel and heat in microwave oven for 3-5 minutes. Til tender.
- Remove cabbage and drain water. Let cool.
- In a medium saucepan add 2 1/2c. water and oil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Add Zatarain's New Orleans Style Dirty Rice Mix and simmer 25 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, brown Italian sausage in a frying pan and drain grease.
- When rice is fully cooked (no existing water).
- add cooked sausage and mix together.
- Stuff meat mixture in cool cabbage leaves.
- Place in a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350'.
- In a medium saucepan add margarine, melt and add chopped onion and saute 2 minutes.
- Add chopped mushrooms and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well.
- Add chicken broth,salt and black pepper and whipping cream and stir until thicken on medium heat. Remove from heat.
- Pour over stuffed cabbage rolls and place in oven for 10 minutes.