Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I was wanting something different than normal stuffed cabbage rolls with tomato sauce so I came up with my own idea. My husband and I really enjoyed this and I was very satisfied. I wanted to share my idea with you and I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1⁄3 cup water
Cabbage Roll Stuffing
- 8 ounces dirty rice mix (Zatarain's New Orleans Style Dirty Rice Mix)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage
Mushroom Gravy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 12 ounces chicken broth (or 2 chicken bouillon cubes, in 12 oz. water)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut cabbage head in half.
- In a glass bowl add 1/3c water and cabbage halfs.
- Cover with paper towel and heat in microwave oven for 3-5 minutes. Til tender.
- Remove cabbage and drain water. Let cool.
- In a medium saucepan add 2 1/2c. water and oil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Add Zatarain's New Orleans Style Dirty Rice Mix and simmer 25 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, brown Italian sausage in a frying pan and drain grease.
- When rice is fully cooked (no existing water).
- add cooked sausage and mix together.
- Stuff meat mixture in cool cabbage leaves.
- Place in a lightly greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350'.
- In a medium saucepan add margarine, melt and add chopped onion and saute 2 minutes.
- Add chopped mushrooms and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well.
- Add chicken broth,salt and black pepper and whipping cream and stir until thicken on medium heat. Remove from heat.
- Pour over stuffed cabbage rolls and place in oven for 10 minutes.
Made this for dinner last weekend and took the leftovers to work to the girls. Big hit! This is a keeper!!