Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cheap, healthy, easy to make, versatile, and all of the ingredients are preserved so keep them in stock, and it's a great back-up for when you don't have time to shop! This really is a raid-the-cupboard, chuck-anything-in type dish, so experiment with whatever you have in. Here are a few of my own variations: Gluten-free or Brown pasta, Frozen peas or any vegetable you can think of, Chicken, Replace the chilli and jalapeno with oregano for a milder dish, Use rice instead of pasta for a hassle-free chilli
- 2 ounces pasta, enough for 2 portions (the exact amount will depend on your appetite)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can baked beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans (or others of your choice)
- 140 g sweetcorn
- 1 jalapeno pepper (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree or 1 teaspoon ketchup
- Boil the pasta.
- In a separate pan, heat the tomatoes and kidney beans until it begins to simmer.
- Add the baked beans and jalapeno.
- Add the sweetcorn to the pan with the pasta.
- Add chilli to the tomato mix, and tomato puree/ketchup if it needs thickening.
- Allow the tomato mix to boil, then leave on a low heat until the pasta and sweetcorn are done.
- Drain the pasta and sweetcorn and add to the pan with the tomato mix.
- Bring to the boil, stir and serve.