1/2 Photos of Spicy Stir-Fried Pork, Asparagus, and Onions With Lemon Grass
This is a fantastic stir-fry! It serves 3-4 people (or even two big eaters) and I recommend serving it with plain rice. Recipe is adapted from 'The New Best Recipe'. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces pork tenderloin
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced lemongrass, from 2 stalks (trim all but bottom 3-4 inches, remove tough outer sheath, then cut finely)
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb asparagus, cut on the diagonal into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-to 3/8-inch wedges
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil
- 1Freeze the tenderloin until firm, 20 to 30 minutes. Cut the tenderloin crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick medallions. Slice each medaillon into 1/3-inch-wide strips.
- 2Combine the pork, 1 tsp fish sauce, and the soy sauce in a small bowl.
- 3Whisk the remaining 2 tbsp fish sauce, the chicken broth, lime juice, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a measuring cup.
- 4Combine garlic, lemon grass, red pepper flakes and 1 tbsp of the oil.
- 5Heat 1 1/2 tsps oil in a nonstick 12-inch skillet or in a wok over high heat until smoking; add half of the pork to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the clumps, until well browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer pork to a bowl. Repeat with an additional 1 1/2 tsps oil and the remaining pork.
- 6Add 1 tbsp oil to the now-empty skillet or wok; add the asparagus and cook, stirring every 30 seconds, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the water, cover the pan, and lower the heat to medium. Steam the asparagus until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes; transfer the asparagus to the bowl with the pork.
- 7Add the remaining 1 1/2 tsps oil to the skillet or wok; add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown and soften, about two minutes.
- 8Clear the center of the skillet; add the garlic and lemon grass mixture to the clearing and cook, mashing the mixture with a spoon, until fragrant, about 1 minute, then stir the mixture into the onion. Return the pork and asparagus to the skillet and toss to combine. Whisk the sauce to recombine, then add to the skillet/wok; cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and evenly distributed, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the thai basil. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pork Loins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Loins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Stir-Fried Pork, Asparagus, and Onions With Lemon Grass
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.9
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 74.8 mg
- Sodium 1281.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 29.2 g