Recipe by cookiedog
We loved this quick stir fry. It has a bit of heat, but next time I might even add more. If you don't like heat you can leave the serranos out. I used baby bok choy which worked perfectly. This really is fairly quick to make to. From Bon Appetit April 2008.
Top Review by LilKiwiChicken
Wow, what a great and oh so simple recipe. I used pork instead of chicken & the flavours worked really well. I also used Thai Chilis as this is what we get in NZ (moreso than serranos) but really the difference is only in heat. I also added a little chilli powder to the marinade & it worked a treat. The most time consuming thing is preparing the veges etc, but then the meal is cooked in 10 minutes. I served this with rice stick noodles & used blanched unsalted peanuts (toasted in the oven first) as a garnish. Also, as this was made for ZWT Add More Veges Challenge I used Pak Choi (from the garden), red & yellow capsicums, brussel sprouts chopped into 8's (you'd be surprised, but they do go well with sesame & soy), mushrooms & broccoli. Overall this is a great recipe with wonderful flavours. Thanks cookiedog.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, divided
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons golden brown sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-wide strips
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 4 green onions, white parts and green parts chopped separately
- 2 teaspoons chopped seeded serrano chilies
- 1 bunch greens, thick stems removed, spinach left whole, other greens cut into 1-inch strips (such as spinach, mustard greens, kale, or broccoli rabe, about 1 pound)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped roasted salted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Sherry, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, and 1 teaspoon sugar in medium bowl. Add chicken; marinade 20 to 30 minutes.
- Whisk remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Sherry, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, and 1 teaspoon sugar in small bowl and reserve.
- Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add white parts of onions and chiles; stir 30 seconds. Add chicken; stir-fry just until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer chicken mixture to bowl. Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil to same skillet; heat over high heat. Add greens by large handfuls; stir just until beginning to wilt before adding more. Sauté just until tender, 1 to 6 minutes, depending on type of greens. Return chicken to skillet. Add reserved soy sauce mixture; stir until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl; sprinkle with green parts of onions and peanuts.