Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is for people who like to marinade their meats. I roasted the meat, because I felt this was the best way to treat the meat. Don't be fooled by the amount of time to marinade or cook the meat, it's one of those things that you can put aside while doing laundry or other household chores. Marinading is not included in the cooking or prep time.
- 1 lb round steak
- 1⁄2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup Pepsi
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup water
- In a medium bowl mix all the wet ingredients with the dry ingredents and the spices. Mix well. Add the round steak, cover and let marinade forfour hours, turning it over once or twice (once is enough, but if you have the time, do it twice).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the round steak in a roasting pan, and pour the marinade into the pan, making sure some of it goes ont top of the steak. Roast for 1 hour, basting every 20 minutes 9make sure to do this, or the top of the meat will be dry, while the bottom will remaine moist because of the marinade.
- Place the meat aside, keeping it in a warm place, and place the marinade in a small pot, on the stove, and medium high heat.
- Mix the water and cornstarch together before adding it to the marinade. Once it's added, let it come to a boil before letting it simmer for 20 minutes. A thick gravy should develop.
- Serve the gravy immediately with the round steak.