8 hrs 20 mins
I adapted this from 'The Book of Slow Cooking' by Anne Sheasby, which I borrowed from the local library. As I had to return it before I had a chance to try this soup, I thought I'd post it here to share and for future use. If you make it before me, please let me know how it turned out. If you leave out the bacon this is vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 butternut squash (about 2 1/2lb total weight) or 2 pumpkin, seeds removed, chopped finely (about 2 1/2lb total weight)
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 onions, sliced fine
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 4 cups vegetable stock, hot
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1Melt the butter in a pan and saute onions, garlic and celery for 5 minutes. Add the butternut squash and all the spices and saute for a further five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Transfer to crock pot, add stock and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 3Carefully transfer to a blender, or using a stick blender, puree until smooth.
- 4Add cream, cover and heat for another 30-60 minutes.
- 5In the meantime, preheat your boiler to high and grill the bacon strips until crisp, turning over once.
- 6Drain bacon on paper towels.
- 7Stir the cilantro into the soup and divide into serving bowls.
- 8Crumble the bacon and sprinkle over the top.
- 9Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Squash Soup (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (700 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.5
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 38.9 mg
- Sodium 305.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 15.3 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: