Recipe by CYNTHIA T.
A wonderful split pea soup, and you do not miss the bacon or ham:) My son loved it. I never liked this soup, so I decided to make one with spices I like and also wanted to keep it healthy. I'm trying out new recipes for health, but they must also taste great! I forgot to buy celery so I used some celery salt. and I had to separate the soup at the end because my husband does not like hot spicy foods, ( the garlic and onion ok) . My son and I loved it with the cayenne and cracked red pepper! I would have liked to cook it longer with these spices.
- 2 cups split peas
- 2 cups sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic
- 1 carrot
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups vegetables or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 dash celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- I could not enter how to prepare ingredients, it would not accept and include for nutrition data, so instructions for preparing are:
- dice vegetables, carrot I used one large carrot diced, I used 1 large onion diced probably 2 cups or more, and diced garlic.
- Place 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil in saute/ or fry pan on medium heat.
- Add 1 diced onion,and the diced carrot cook over medium heat until onions are translucent 3-5 minutes, do not brown.
- Add diced garlic in middle of pan, push aside onion and saute about 1 minute until translucent, watch carefully do not overcook or brown garlic.
- Clean split peas in strainer with water, remove any discolored peas.
- Add peas to a large stockpot.
- Add 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth to stockpot.
- Add cooked onions, carrots and garlic to stockpot.
- Add spices celery salt, cumin, thyme, crushed red pepper and cayenne pepper and fresh ground pepper.
- Bring all to a boil then cover and simmer over low heat for 30-60 minutes.