1 hr 10 mins
Chef #850937's Note:
A wonderful split pea soup, and you do not miss the bacon or ham:) My son loved it. I never liked this soup, so I decided to make one with spices I like and also wanted to keep it healthy. I'm trying out new recipes for health, but they must also taste great! I forgot to buy celery so I used some celery salt. and I had to separate the soup at the end because my husband does not like hot spicy foods, ( the garlic and onion ok) . My son and I loved it with the cayenne and cracked red pepper! I would have liked to cook it longer with these spices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups split peas
- 2 cups sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic
- 1 carrot
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups vegetables or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 dash celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1I could not enter how to prepare ingredients, it would not accept and include for nutrition data, so instructions for preparing are:
- 2dice vegetables, carrot I used one large carrot diced, I used 1 large onion diced probably 2 cups or more, and diced garlic.
- 3Place 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil in saute/ or fry pan on medium heat.
- 4Add 1 diced onion,and the diced carrot cook over medium heat until onions are translucent 3-5 minutes, do not brown.
- 5Add diced garlic in middle of pan, push aside onion and saute about 1 minute until translucent, watch carefully do not overcook or brown garlic.
- 6Clean split peas in strainer with water, remove any discolored peas.
- 7Add peas to a large stockpot.
- 8Add 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth to stockpot.
- 9Add cooked onions, carrots and garlic to stockpot.
- 10Add spices celery salt, cumin, thyme, crushed red pepper and cayenne pepper and fresh ground pepper.
- 11Bring all to a boil then cover and simmer over low heat for 30-60 minutes.
Browse Our Top Beginner Cook Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beginner Cook Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Split Pea Soup- All Vegetarian/ Vegan Version
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 295.5
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 19.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.8 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 16.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: