Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. Recipe from Food & Wine Jan/2005 issue.
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 small sweet onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, whole leaves, thawed
- Scoop yogurt into a paper towel lined strainer set over a bowl.
- Let stand at room temp for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the pine nuts and minced onion and cook over high heat, stirring frequently until the onion is softened and lightly browned and the pine nuts are golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, chile powder and cayenne, cook, stirring for 1 minute. Place in a bowl.
- Using your hands or a potato ricer, squeeze the spinach until very dry. (I've never used that technique before, I place spinach in a clean dish towel and squeeze dry).
- Add the spinach and the drained yogurt to the onion mixture, season with salt and stir well.
- Dip can be refrigerated overnight.