Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I created this recipe as a healthy, low fat meal for my vegetarian husband and I. Not only does the spinach and chickpeas provide vital vitamins and minerals, the chickpeas are good source of veggie protein. Serving this over a bed of couscous makes this a complete Moroccan dish. You can substitute the pre-packaged couscous if you like, though I prefer to buy it in the bulk containers and measure out the amount I want to use. This would be delicious with a dollop of light plain yogurt on top to temper the spice. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional) or 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium high heat. Saute the onion and garlic until soft and translucent (about 2 minutes). Add the cayenne pepper and stir to coat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add broth, tomatoes, spinach, chickpeas--drained and rinsed, and all the spices. Stir to combine and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour or until chickpeas are softened.
- In a separate saucepan, bring water and oil, if using, to a boil. Stir in couscous and remove from heat. Cover and let sit for five minutes. Stir with a fork to fluff.
- Spread couscous in a bowl and top with the soup. Garnish with yogurt if you like.
I found this soup to be amazing. The first time I made it, I put it over rice, which worked out very well. It's definitely become a staple in my rotation - I have it at least once a month.
I made this yummy soup as part of PAC 08 and it didn't dissapoint! it was spicy and thick and definately a soup i will make again in winter! my partner doesn't really care for couscous so next time i will try it with small pasta stars or the like - thanks for another great recipe!