Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Found online and submitted for ZWT5
Make and share this Spicy Spanish Saffron Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced fine
- 1 small Spanish onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice (short grain)
- 2 -3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron, dissolved in 1 tbsp. milk
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes, juiced strained and chopped
- In a large skillet or saucepan with a lid sauté onion and jalapeños in olive oil until softened.
- Stir in garlic, herbs, zucchini, red pepper, green pepper and tomatoes and cook with lid on for 10 minutes.
- Add rice, broth and saffron milk and stir to combine, cook till the rice is just tender and the liquid nearly absorbed 15-20mins.
- Stir in peas, salt and pepper and let cook a further 10mins or until peas are cooked through and tender.
This was a tasty & easy version of paella. I made it a true skillet dinner & sauted chunks of chicken breast in the first step. I served with a salad & bread. Nice meal!
Muy Bueno! This is wonderful! I made this exactly as directed other than halving the recipe. Every single ingredient complements each of the others and is truly a tasty delight. Thanks SueVM for a terrific dish that I will repeat often. Made for ZWT5 2009.