Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful topping for toates baguette slices. From cooking light and my only change when preparing is to omit the roasted red bell peppers (1/2 cup chopped if you would like to add them)
- 2 (1 lb) eggplants
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets, canned chopped (about 1/3 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Pierce eggplants several times with a fork; place on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes turning often, until blackened.Cool slightly; peel. Drain eggplant pulp in a colander for 5 minutesthen chop.
- Combine tomato paste and next 5 ingredients (through ground red pepper) in a small bowl, stirring until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic cook 6 minutes , stirring occasionally. Stir in eggplant, tomato paste mixture, and anchovies; cook 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in parsley and spoon it into a bowl. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Makes 12 1/2 servings.