Recipe by andypandy
I first had this at a YMCA walkaton in the year of 1998. Very simple and tasty.
Top Review by Annie H
This salad was wondeful! The dressing was flavorful but not overpowering. With all the different veggies and the nuts, every bite was a different texture and flavor. This recipe makes quite a bit, but we ate all of it in two days. I found it helpful to start cooking the chicken (I poached mine) and pasta first so it was cool by the time I finished preparing the veggies. I wonder how this would taste with cashews or slivered almonds. I'll definitely be making this again!
Ginger Dressing Ingredients
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced gingerroot
- 1 fresh minced garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 -2 dash crushed red pepper flakes, flakes dried
- 14 ounces thin spaghetti or 14 ounces vermicelli, cooked al dente and then cooled under cold water so it will not stick together
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1⁄2 fresh sliced green onion, sliced long and thin
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced long and thin
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped fine
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry roasted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Make dressing; Combine vinegar, soy, ginger, garlic, sugar and pepper flakes.
- Whisk in both oils.
- Chill in a measure until needed.
- Place the cooked pasta, cabbage, onions, peppers, and chicken, and tosss lightly to combine in a large bowl.
- Chill until serving time.
- At serving time, add the dressing and the peanuts, toss.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss once more.