Recipe by Chandra M
The flavor on these ribs is slightly sweet, slightly spicy, and the meat melts in your mouth. Definitely easier than the traditional method of hours long attended cooking. These can be served as an appetizer/party dish (would serve 6) or as an entree (would serve 4). From Secrets of slow cooking.
Top Review by RepoGuysWife
Very good...A bit on the hot side though, so watch that Cayenne! Made exactly as listed. Will modify a bit the next time. The flavors are very good together, however I would scale back the Molasses next time, I am just not a fan of the flavor it gives. Also I was expecting the sauce to thicken as the name says soy glazed, but it never did. It stayed more of a braising liquid. So I did as the other reviewer suggested and thickened it. Will definitely be making again with a few minor adjustments. Thanks for a great recipe.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs beef short ribs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 bunches scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chili-garlic sauce
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce (or plum sauce)
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim excess fat off ribs.
- In a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ribs on all sides in batches. Transfer browned ribs to an oval slow cooker (for a better fit, but round may be used).
- Deglaze the skillet with 1/2 cup water and pour the resulting liquid over the ribs.
- In a medium bowl combine half of the scallions and all remaining ingredients except the sesame seeds. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, pour over the ribs.
- Cook on the low setting 6 hours or until the meat is tender (some will fall from the bone).
- Toast the sesame seeds in a small skillet until lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl to cool and set aside.
- Serve the ribs with some of the sauce, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and remaining scallions.