Recipe by bmarie
This is a hearty vegetarian soup that is perfect for cold rainy nights. It couldn't be easier to make and is delicious served with crunched up tortilla chips and some shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese over the top.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (30 ounce) box vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- hot sauce (I use Cholula and find it gives it an excellent flavor)
- cheese (optional)
- tortilla chips (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in the bottom of a soup pot. Cook the onions and bell pepper in the oil until tender.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, beans and corn. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add the chiles, salt and pepper, cumin, chili powder and hot sauce. Stir.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes and serve with cheese and tortilla chips on top.