Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This is a tasty and colorful meatless meal. It has several ingredients, but is easy to put together on the stovetop. It's quite low in fat if you use the reduced-fat forms of the dairy products. This is adapted from Cook It Light by Jeanne Jones.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste, I use more than that)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (again, you may want more)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (7 ounce) can roasted red peppers, drained and diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1 lb pasta, cooked al dente (rotelle, wagon wheels or penne work well)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (reduced fat version if you like)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown onions and garlic in large skillet over medium heat, using a little water or a small amount of oil.
- Add crushed tomatoes, cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder, oregano and pepper flakes.
- Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, covered for about 15 minutes.
- Add green chiles, red peppers, beans and corn. Mix well and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the mixture from the pan, mix it with the sour cream and then add this mixture back into the pan and mix well.
- To serve, place 1 cup of cooked pasta on each plate and top each serving with about 1 cup of the sauce.
- Top with 3 tablespoons of the grated cheese.
- I often combine the last steps and mix 2 or 3 cups of cooked pasta and the cheese right in with the sauce and serve the whole meal right out of the skillet.