1 hr 10 mins
- Carla -'s Note:
This soup is a little bit of work, but well worth it in the end. Garnish with lime wedges, sour cream, diced avocado, cilantro sprigs on top. Recipe was adopted and has been edited by me February 2005. This recipe is courtesy of Souther Home by Design.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fajita seasoning mix
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon minced and seeded chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, fajita seasoning, cumin, salt, cilantro, and egg until well-combined. Shape mixture into 1-inch meatballs and arrange on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 2Bake at 400°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally.
- 3Sauté onion and carrot in hot oil in a Dutch oven for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- 4Add zucchini, garlic, cumin, coriander, tomato paste, chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly (Do not let garlic brown).
- 5Stir in meatballs, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, and salt.
- 6Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 35 minutes.
- 7Stir in cilantro.
- 8Garnish as desired with lime wedges, sour cream, diced avocado, or cilantro sprigs and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Southwestern Meatball Soup
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.8
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 80.1 mg
- Sodium 1156.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 28.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fajita seasoning mix