1/1 Photo of Spicy Southwest Egg Rolls
I started out making a southwest eggroll recipe that's on Zaar, but I left out a lot and added a lot and basically changed the whole thing, so here's my version :) *Note: I bake these, but they certainly could be fried in oil also.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/4 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 15 egg roll wraps
- 1Add 1 Tbsp vegetable oil to small skillet; preheat to medium-low. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder & salt.
- 2Rub seasonings mixture onto both sides of both chicken breasts; add chicken breasts to small skillet and cook 7-10 minutes, depending on thickness of your breast - until done, turning at least once.
- 3While chicken is cooking, dice your vegetables.
- 4Once chicken is done, remove from heat; set aside.
- 5Heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil in large skillet; add diced red bell pepper, diced onion, minced garlic cloves and jalapenos to oil; saute until veggies are soft.
- 6Once chicken is cool enough to handle, slice into small cubes and add to vegetable mixture.
- 7Stir in frozen corn and black beans; mix thoroughly. Add cayenne now if you want.
- 8Turn heat to low, and slowly add cheese. Once cheese has melted, remove skillet from heat.
- 9To assemble eggrolls:.
- 10Place eggroll wrappers so that the points are facing north/south. Place about 1 1/2 Tbsp of chicken/veggie mixture into center of wrapper. Spread it out log-shaped from side to side, leaving about 1 inch of the wrapper on each side.
- 11Fold bottom point over mixture, then fold in each side. Then roll eggroll up remaining wrapper. I usually seal the final point with a brush of water.
- 12Repeat with each eggroll wrapper.
- 13When all the eggrolls are wrapped, freeze in a single layer for at least 4 hours and up to 2 months.
- 14To cook, place frozen eggrolls on a cookie sheet, and bake at 375 degrees for 13-16 minutes.
- 15I like to dip these in a spicy avocado sauce or salsa.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Southwest Egg Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.4
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 35.0 mg
- Sodium 354.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 12.5 g