Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From thenest.com which featured this recipe from 150 Things to Make with Roast Chicken by Tony Rosenfeld. I haven't tried it but I'd like to (sans bacon of course ;-) )
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- 1 chipotle chile, canned
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 avocado, ripe and pitted
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken, thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon, thick, cooked until crisp (optional)
- 1 large tomatoes, ripe, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices focaccia bread or 8 slices sourdough bread, lightly toasted
- 1. In a blender, mini-chop, or food processor, pulse the sun-dried tomatoes, chipotle, adobo sauce, water, oil, vinegar, mustard, and brown sugar together until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and pulse again. Transfer to a small bowl.
- 2. In another small bowl, mash the avocado with half the cilantro and all of the lime juice. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Spread 4 of the slices of bread with the avocado mixture. Spread the remaining 4 pieces of bread with the sun-dried tomato-and-chipotle mixture, then layer on the chicken, bacon, tomato, onion, the remaining cilantro, and the bread. Cut in half and serve immediately.
This was fabulous! The avocado and cilantro with lime combined with the sweet chipotle sauce is my new fave, I used what was leftover to make a turkey wrap the next day. The combo of flavors is top notch, like something you would get at a gourmet shop, yet it took less than 25 minutes to put this together and have it on the table! I used french bread rolls, since I couldn't find small foccacia and there was only two of us eating. Thanks for finding and sharing this recipe! It is a new favorite.