Recipe by ThatSouthernBelle
From thenest.com which featured this recipe from 150 Things to Make with Roast Chicken by Tony Rosenfeld. I haven't tried it but I'd like to (sans bacon of course ;-) )
Top Review by Elainia
This was fabulous! The avocado and cilantro with lime combined with the sweet chipotle sauce is my new fave, I used what was leftover to make a turkey wrap the next day. The combo of flavors is top notch, like something you would get at a gourmet shop, yet it took less than 25 minutes to put this together and have it on the table! I used french bread rolls, since I couldn't find small foccacia and there was only two of us eating. Thanks for finding and sharing this recipe! It is a new favorite.
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- 1 chipotle chile, canned
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 avocado, ripe and pitted
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken, thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon, thick, cooked until crisp (optional)
- 1 large tomatoes, ripe, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices focaccia bread or 8 slices sourdough bread, lightly toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. In a blender, mini-chop, or food processor, pulse the sun-dried tomatoes, chipotle, adobo sauce, water, oil, vinegar, mustard, and brown sugar together until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and pulse again. Transfer to a small bowl.
- 2. In another small bowl, mash the avocado with half the cilantro and all of the lime juice. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Spread 4 of the slices of bread with the avocado mixture. Spread the remaining 4 pieces of bread with the sun-dried tomato-and-chipotle mixture, then layer on the chicken, bacon, tomato, onion, the remaining cilantro, and the bread. Cut in half and serve immediately.