Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Great side for your favorite burger! You may substitute 2 cans of black beans for the pinto beans, or use 1 can of each! From 1001 Low-Fat Recipes.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1⁄4 cup sliced sun-dried tomato, softened
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Saute onion, bell pepper, chili and garlic in oil in large skillet until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Combine onion mixture and remaining ingredients in 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees, covered, 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed.
- Discard bay leaf.
I loved everything about these beans except the sun-dried tomatoes, and I love those things. I didn't think they worked well with the recipe. I picked them out and so did DH. I really never pick things out. So next time I will omit those. I did cut the recipe in half and thought the sweetness was spot on. I used the beer even tho I don't drink it but we had some left over from a get together. I cooked this in the oven with a meatloaf and roasted potatoes for a very easy dinner. I enjoyed the bite to this dish. Thanks for posting. :)
These were very nice! I'm not a beer drinker so used beef broth instead. I also used red bell pepper not green and pickled jalapeno instead of fresh. I added 15 minutes to the cook time (I like my baked beans pretty thick). I think I would cut back on the sugar just a hair next time but otherwise I loved these! Thanks for the recipe!