Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 55 mins
Heart Healthy Recipes
Make and share this Spicy Southern Barbecued Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste (3 ozs)
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons vinegar, white
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken pieces (breasts, drumsticks)
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in a saucepan.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- Place chicken on a large platter.
- Brush chicken with 1/2 of sauce mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil for 10 minutes on each side to seal in juices.
- Turn oven down to 350° F and add the remaining sauce to the chicken.
- Cover the chicken with aluminum foil and continue baking for 30 minutes.
We really enjoyed the spice in this sauce! This made for a yummy bbq chicken dinner last night. After broiling, it looked like my chicken was almost done so I only continued to cook them, covered, for another 15 min. instead of the 30 min. Made for Spring PAC.
I modified slightly to adapt for ingredients in my pantry. We're on a strict budget, so I made do with what was on hand. In place of tomato sauce I extra spaghetti sauce I had frozen. I used clear Karo syrup for honey, pancake syrup for molasses. Had everything else. I sliced the chicken breasts into thin cutlets, marinated overnight in the fridge, then seared in the skillet. Then I followed instructions to heat in oven for 30 minutes. The entire family oved them!