Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Be creative - these cookies taste just as good with other spices substituted in place of the cinnamon. Please note that this is an English recipe, and the "ounce" weights are dry weights, and not fluid ounces (except for the sour cream).
- 3 1⁄2 ounces butter, softened
- 6 ounces sugar
- 2 ounces light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus extra for decorating
- 1 egg
- 3 1⁄2 fluid ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 6 ounces plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cream together the butter, sugars, cinnamon and egg until light and fluffy.
- Add the sour cream and lemon zest and beat well until well blended.
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, and then drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto baking sheets covered with non-stick baking paper (allow room for them to spread during the baking process).
- Sprinkle a little ground cinnamon on top of each biscuit.
- Bake at 190ºC/ 375ºF/ Gas Mark 5 for 10-15 minutes, or until they are a light brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container at room temperature.