Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my favorite dishes. The enchiladas are covered in a spicy sour cream sauce and filled with cheese and chicken!!
- 2 canned jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin, toasted (toast in dry skillet 30 seconds0)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup real butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) carton sour cream
- 3 canned jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 20 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups chicken, cooked & chopped
- 4 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped and saueteed in
- 3 tablespoons butter
- -Combine first 6 ingredients; stir well. Cover and chill
- -Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and 4 chopped peppers.
- Cook chicken. Chop or shread chicken.
- -Mix chicken with 3 cups of cheese and sautéed onions in large bowl.
- -Pour 1/3 of sour cream mixture into a lightly greased, large, baking dish; set dish and remaining sour cream mixture aside.
- -Heat tortillas in microwave for app. 30 seconds (5 at a time).
- -Spoon 2-3 Tablespoons of chicken mixture down center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas; place tortillas, seam side down in prepared dish. Pour remaining sour cream mixture over enchiladas.
- -Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese and bake 3-5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with chilled tomato mixture. Serves 10.
Was excellent!! Wasn't sure about the sour cream part, but was very happily surprised on how well it tasted. I used a costco rotisserrie chicken and I would suggest doubling the salsa. I also broiled it for a few min. at the end to brown it. My honey gives it a 10 and I will agree with that. It was great and it will become a family favorite.