Recipe by Rita~
But you are welcome to add the beans. Serve this spicy chili over rice or toss it into a tortilla. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocados, salsa, scallions jalapenos and or lime wedges. Top a hot dog to make a chili dog! Can be frozen for a quick dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups thick & chunky salsa (mild-hot use to taste)
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1 -2 cup water (Add more or less to adjust thickness)
- 1⁄3 cup chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted and crushed or 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, diced
- 2 tablespoons masa harina (fine white cornmeal)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Cook bell pepper, onion, garlic, for 5 minutes.
- Add meat, cook till browned.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the corn meal mixture.
- Cook for 2 hours over low heat or in a crock pot.
- Stir in the corn meal mixture
- Taste to see if it `s to your HEAT!
- Season adding salt and pepper as you like, Cook 30 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and garnish as you like.
- Skip the oil and browning just go ahead and toss all into a crock pot for 8 hours. Giving it a stir when passing by.