Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
But you are welcome to add the beans. Serve this spicy chili over rice or toss it into a tortilla. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocados, salsa, scallions jalapenos and or lime wedges. Top a hot dog to make a chili dog! Can be frozen for a quick dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups thick & chunky salsa (mild-hot use to taste)
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1 -2 cup water (Add more or less to adjust thickness)
- 1⁄3 cup chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted and crushed or 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, diced
- 2 tablespoons masa harina (fine white cornmeal)
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Cook bell pepper, onion, garlic, for 5 minutes.
- Add meat, cook till browned.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the corn meal mixture.
- Cook for 2 hours over low heat or in a crock pot.
- Stir in the corn meal mixture
- Taste to see if it `s to your HEAT!
- Season adding salt and pepper as you like, Cook 30 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and garnish as you like.
- Skip the oil and browning just go ahead and toss all into a crock pot for 8 hours. Giving it a stir when passing by.
Made this recipe tonight. It was so good! I love spicy food and thought it had just the right level of spice!
Very good! Used white cornmeal instead of the masa harina and it turned out fine for me. I will add beans next time just because I like them there. Served with cornbread and a simple salad.
This is FAB, FAB, FAB! I made it with Quorn mince, a vegetarian meat substitute made from mushrooms, and it was a HUGE hit! I used EVERY single spice, but not the white cornmeal as I don't have any, subbed that with cornflour. The layers of flavours were amazing and I am SORRY, but to bulk it out as I used Quorn, I added kidney beans! Made for Bay in the Herb of the Month in the French forum and for the Veg'N'Swap in the veggie forum, hence the Quorn! LOVED this Rita and I am going to make it next week again with meat! Merci darlink! FT/Karen:-)