1/4 Photos of Spicy Sloppy Italian Joes!
This is my version of open-faced sloppy joes. I probably make this 2-3 times a month...DH loves it so! To make this a fast, weeknight meal I use a sloppy joe packet and frozen Texas toast garlic bread slices with 5 cheeses(of course, you don't have to get the kind with cheese). You could also use a loaf of garlic bread and cut into large pieces after baking if you prefer. Enjoy!
My Private Note
open fa ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 serrano peppers, minced (optional) or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (I use Classico Spicy Red Bell Pepper)
- 1 1/4 ounces sloppy joe seasoning mix
- 8 slices Texas toast thick bread, frozen (the garlic bread kind found in the frozen section)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1Bake Texas toast style garlic bread slices per package directions. (I like the kind with cheese!).
- 2Brown meat (breaking up into crumbles), onion, peppers, and garlic in a large skillet over medium high heat until veggies are soft and meat is cooked through. Drain grease if necessary.
- 3Add dry sloppy joe packet and spaghetti sauce to meat mixture. Stir well to combine.
- 4Reduce heat to medium. Let sauce simmer until reduced to desired consistency, about 5-10 minutes (we like ours super saucy, so I only simmer about 5 min).
- 5I serve these open-faced, so spoon sloppy joe mixture over baked garlic bread pieces and top with parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Sloppy Italian Joes!
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.1
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 89.3 mg
- Sodium 818.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 32.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sloppy joe seasoning mix