Recipe by KPD
This is my version of open-faced sloppy joes. I probably make this 2-3 times a month...DH loves it so! To make this a fast, weeknight meal I use a sloppy joe packet and frozen Texas toast garlic bread slices with 5 cheeses(of course, you don't have to get the kind with cheese). You could also use a loaf of garlic bread and cut into large pieces after baking if you prefer. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 serrano peppers, minced (optional) or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (I use Classico Spicy Red Bell Pepper)
- 1 1⁄4 ounces sloppy joe seasoning mix
- 8 slices Texas toast thick bread, frozen (the garlic bread kind found in the frozen section)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake Texas toast style garlic bread slices per package directions. (I like the kind with cheese!).
- Brown meat (breaking up into crumbles), onion, peppers, and garlic in a large skillet over medium high heat until veggies are soft and meat is cooked through. Drain grease if necessary.
- Add dry sloppy joe packet and spaghetti sauce to meat mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium. Let sauce simmer until reduced to desired consistency, about 5-10 minutes (we like ours super saucy, so I only simmer about 5 min).
- I serve these open-faced, so spoon sloppy joe mixture over baked garlic bread pieces and top with parmesan cheese.