1/1 Photo of Spicy Sizzle Red Lentil Soup
From Eating Well Magazine (1995), this Turkish soup features a delicious, healthful combination of lentils and whole-grain bulgur. A drizzle of sizzling spiced olive oil gives the soup a final flourish.
My Private Note
-1 cup ...
Units: US | Metric
- 6 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 8 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cumin; cook for 1 minute.
- 2Add broth, lentils, bulgur, tomato paste and bay leaf; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook over low heat until the lentils and bulgur are very tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- 3Ladle about 4 cups of the soup into a food processor (or blender) and puree. Return the pureed soup to the soup pot and heat through. Stir in lemon juice and season with pepper.
- 4Just before serving, ladle the soup into bowls. Heat the remaining 4 teaspoons olive oil in a small skillet and stir in the paprika and cayenne. Drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon of the sizzling spice mixture over each bowlful and serve immediately.
- 5TIP - You can replace red lentils with brown lentils; add 1/2 cup water and simmer 40 to 45 minutes.
- 6MAKE AHEAD TIP - Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Sizzle Red Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.3
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 37.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium vegetable broth