Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 1 lb unpeeled large raw shrimp
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry, divided
- 1 tablespoon peeled grated gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup no-salt-added chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons low-calorie soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium ketchup
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Peel, devein and butterfly shrimp.
- Combine shrimp, 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry and gingerroot.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry, cornstarch, chicken broth, soy sauce, and vinegar; stir well.
- Add ketchup and next 3 ingredients.
- Set aside.
- Coat a wok with cooking spray.
- Heat at medium-high until hot.
- Add walnuts and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Remove walnuts from wok and set aside.
- Drizzle peanut oil around top of wok, coating sides.
- Add spinach to wok; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Add garlic to wok; stir-fry 10 seconds.
- Add sweet red pepper and green onions; stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cornstarch mixture; stir-fry until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Spoon over spinach and sprinkle with walnuts.
- Serve immediately.
In this strange recipe there seems no indication of when the SHRIMP get's stir fried. For new cooks this appears a rather catastrophic omission.
This was not at all spicy ~ I believe the sauce would benefit GREATLY by adding more garlic cloves, changing out the ketchup with chili sauce, and adding a sprinkle of red pepper flakes! I subbed slivered carrots and broccoli for the red and green peppers in the recipe.