Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Chilled shrimp in piquant remoulade sauce is a Creole classic. Here it tops pumpernickel toasts spread with a chilli-molasses butter. Use Westphalian-style pumpernickel bread cut into 1 1/2" rounds or squares. This recipe was shamelessly jacked from Bon Appetit.
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons light molasses
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons drained prepared white horseradish
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 slices pumpernickel bread
- 8 ounces cooked peeled medium shrimp, cut into 1/2 -inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- For MOLASSES BUTTER, using fork, mix first three ingredients in small bowl to blend.
- For REMOULADE SAUCE, mix next 12 ingredients, from mayonnaise to cayenne pepper, in medium bowl.
- Preheat oven to 425°F Spread molasses butter lightly over 1 1/2" rounds or squares of bread; arrange in single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake until bread begins to firm up, about 10 minutes. Cool.
- Mix shrimp into remoulade Sauce. Top toasts with shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with chives. Place toasts on platter.