Recipe by rpgaymer
This is a very spicy dish that has a unique, tangy flavor. The combination of okra and serrano peppers isn't for everyone, but people who love both ingredients (like me) should enjoy the combination.
Top Review by ellie_
Very good and spicy dish! I changed the recipe a bit by using frozen okra (added with the shrimp) and only 2 peppers and 2 cloves of garlic. I also cut down on the oil by half. Still very spicy and hot dish which we enjoyed very much. Thanks for sharing!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces okra, washed and left whole
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 4 serrano peppers, cut diagonally
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 basil leaves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 limes, juice of
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok over medium-high heat. Fry the okra until they are slightly crisp and somewhat browned (about 5 minutes). Remove from the oil and set aside.
- In the same oil, fry the garlic, ginger, serrano peppers, turmeric, basil, and cumin for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and mix well. Cook until shrimp are done, or about 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients along with the fried okra. Quickly fry the mixture for 5 more minutes, stirring gently to prevent the okra from breaking. Serve hot over rice, if desired.