Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a terrific hot weather light meal.Served with crunchy breadsticks and a good white wine it's wonderful. I like the fact that it can be prepared earlier in the day and then thrown together just before you're ready to eat! Originally from a local area women's organization cookbook.
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti or 1⁄2 lb vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 ounces fresh snow peas, sliced diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb fresh bean sprout
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 8 ounces shrimp, precooked
- 1 egg, beaten, cooked into a sheet, and shredded
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon hot sesame chili oil, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 green onions, including some greens, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- Cook noodles according to package directions until al dente.
- Rinse in colander; add oil to prevent sticking and mix well.
- Set aside to drain thoroughly and cool.
- Boil a few cups of water and immerse the snow peas, bean sprouts, and carrots briefly,about 45 seconds or till cooked to your taste (they should still have some crunch) then rinse with cold water.
- Chill the ingredients until ready to serve.
- While salad is chilling, whisk sauce ingredients together and chill also.
- When ready to serve, place the noodles, shrimp, vegetables and egg in a bowl.
- Pour prepared sauce over all and toss lightly before serving.